September 2, 2009

I plead the 5th

Anniversaries are funny things. They mean something different to everyone or every couple.

Tomorrow is our 5th wedding anniversary. We thought that the 5th year was a pretty big deal, but according to my friends, they either did nothing, or have been married so long they don’t remember what they did.

So Jamie and I are heading out of Las Vegas for the BIG 5! I am so excited! I need this break!

But, thinking about this anniversary got me wondering about what gift I was going to give him. Did I want to go traditional, or modern? While I was looking for what type of gift to give him I ran across a website that lists the traditional and modern gifts, and thought some of them were quite interesting!

Here are the ones I like the most:

1st year-

Traditional: Paper

Modern: Plastic/Clock

I actually followed the traditional path for our first anniversary and got him a message in a bottle. It was pretty cool. I came is a wooden crate and the bottle was filled with a romantic message and had sand and little sea shells in it.

Plastic seems like a lame gift to give someone. Here, babe, it’s a swatch watch! Happy Anniversary, Love you. LOL. I ended up going with the clock idea for our second anniversary. It was a pretty clock, and looked modern as well.

5th Year-

Traditional: Wood

Modern: Silverware

I sort of followed the traditional gift when I got Jamie his gift this year. I included a little wooden heart with a message scroll in the basket, but that was all that was wooden. I don’t think I would want silverware. That’s like saying: “Honey, get your ass in that kitchen and serve me some grub!”

8th year-

Traditional: Bronze

Modern: Appliance

Either way I think we lose out on this gift giving year. Bronze is so 1970 and an appliance is just lame. Well, to me it’s lame. I could probably get Jamie some sort of appliance for his cars and he would be happy.

10th year-

Traditional: Tin

Modern: Aluminum

Another crap year! I really wonder who decided that Tin and Aluminum were great gifts on your 10th anniversary?

Here’s an interesting fact: For years 16 through 19 there were no traditional gifts. It’s like they didn’t think any marriage was going to last, but then the tradition starts up again at 20. However, at 20 years the increments go to 30 and then do every 5 years. EX: 30 years, 35 years, 40 years, all the way to 60 and then skip to 75 and end there. At least that was all the information I could find about it. Towards the end the gifts start getting smaller but more expensive. They mostly consist of jewels and Gold.

I just thought it was interesting how we haven’t changed all that much in the way of gift giving, and how 2 people who know each other so well can have no clue what to get one another and have to resort to looking up what’s traditional and what’s modern.

So, we are going to take a trip to Las Vegas to celebrate. There will be much love, drinking, and laughing. I think it's the perfect way to get away with your other half. We have, very much, been looking forward to it.

Oh yeah, so I ended up getting him a basket filled with romantic things for our weekend, and he got me a car stereo and speakers! I have been wanting that for AGES. Thanks love!

Laters!

No comments: